Could you outline how you made the vocoded vocal at the begining of 'Aubergine'? The carrier source, how the pitch was tracked, how it was processed? It sounds quite 'organic' for a vocoded sample.
1. First I wrote the words.
2. Then I recorded myself singing them.
3. Then I recorded myself playing the main melody on a Korg MS20.
4. Then I fed the vocal into the vocoder - an EMS System 2000 - as the modulator and the MS20 as the carrier and recorded the result.
5. Then I slightly detuned the MS20 [downward] and repeated step 4 above.
6. Then I slightly detuned the MS20 [upward] and repeated step 4 above.
7. Then I recorded the first harmony part on a Roland MKS-70 and fed it to the vocoder as the carrier. I recorded this with two other detuned versions.
8. Then I repeated step 7 above with another harmony part played on a Kurzweil K2000 and recorded it with two detuned versions.
9. When I had all my parts recorded as audio I arranged them with the main melody upfront and the two harmony parts gradually fading up and panned progressively wider.
10. Then I added the reversed reverb on the front.